krainaksiazek staten island through time 20043658
- znaleziono 1 produkt w 1 sklepie
Story and Documentary History of the Perine House Forgotten Books
Książki / Literatura obcojęzyczna
Excerpt from The Story and Documentary History of the Perine House: Dongan Hills, Staten Island, Headquarters of the Staten Island Antiquarian Society "The Story and Documentary History of the Perine House" was written by Charles Gilbert Hine and published by the Staten Island Antiquarian Society in 1915. Mr. Hine was president of the Society and, in association with his brothers, owned and ran a publishing house. Mr. Hine's avocation was the compiling and publishing of local histories. His "Howard Avenue and Serpentine Road," published in 1914, was another example of his delightfully written and printed chronicles. The Antiquarian Society was absorbed in 1922 by the Staten Island Historical Society, and the Perine House became the property of the latter. A bequest by the late Robert Gerlich enabled the Historical Society to begin, in 1943, the restoration of the old house which, excepting several minor details, was completed in 1951. The restoration of a historic building is a grave responsibility. Through the years most houses, particularly if their owners were prosperous, have undergone serious changes in the original structure. A proper restoration seeks to reverse these changes without impairing historical interest. Several articles have appeared in the Staten Island Historian, the publication of the Historical Society, describing the restoration. When nearly two hundred unbound copies of Mr. Hine's book were found in 1959 in a trunk formerly belonging to the late William T. Davis, the decision was made to bind them and include an introduction describing the story of the house since Mr. Hine's time. Mr. Hine's work is essentially correct and stopped short only where his knowledge of architecture and modern methods of identification were lacking. His account of the descent of ownership of the house is complete except for one very interesting detail which not only Mr. Hine, but other local historians, have overlooked. As the restoration neared completion in 1957, the oldest section shown on the accompanying plan took on the appearance of a French farmhouse of the 17th century. When the papers which Mr. Hine stated were at his time owned by Edward Perine Tysen, and which were later given to the Society, were carefully examined, it became evident that the property on which the Perine House stands was owned by Pierre Billiou under a Dutch ground brief or patent, granted between 1661-64. About the Publisher Forgotten Books publishes hundreds of thousands of rare and classic books. Find more at www.forgottenbooks.com This book is a reproduction of an important historical work. Forgotten Books uses state-of-the-art technology to digitally reconstruct the work, preserving the original format whilst repairing imperfections present in the aged copy. In rare cases, an imperfection in the original, such as a blemish or missing page, may be replicated in our edition. We do, however, repair the vast majority of imperfections successfully; any imperfections that remain are intentionally left to preserve the state of such historical works.
Sklepy zlokalizowane w miastach: Warszawa, Kraków, Łódź, Wrocław, Poznań, Gdańsk, Szczecin, Bydgoszcz, Lublin, Katowice
Szukaj w sklepach lub całym serwisie
t1=0.015, t2=0, t3=0, t4=0, t=0.015